It was SO DELICIOUS to scoff after a long swim on a cold, wintery day. I also made a chipotle potato cake (latke) to munch alongside which gave it a really pleasant warmth from the heat of the chipotle and made it just that little bit more filling.
Want to do it yourself? Well it wasn't particularly technical, but as I said it was very delicious, so here's what I did :
Ingredients (for 1 person, but you can easily scale to more or to the size of your appetite):
- 2 strips streaky bacon
- 65g mascarpone
- 2 egg
- ~50g fresh corned beef (i.e. from a deli counter, not spam)
- 100g plain baking potato, grated and stirred for ages in a sieve until it's dry
- chipotle oil or adobo sauce
- a sprinkle of chopped chives
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (375°F).
- Cook bacon until very crispy (or until it's how you like it, I suppose). Set on paper towels to allow the fat to absorb so you can feel very conscientious about eating naughty little things.
- Put the mascarpone in the cocotte (or if you have a ramekin or some small baking dish, that will work as well). Crack an egg on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle chopped corned beef and chives on the mascarpone/egg.
- Place in oven for 12 minutes or until the egg is cooked like you like.
- In the meantime, make the latkes: whisk the remaining egg and add a tablespoon at a time to the dried-off grated potato until it binds together to form a little cake. Fry in adobo/chipotle oil.
- Take out the cocotte/ramekin and EAT THE FOOD with the potato cake. Eat the potato latke with your hands, because I think it made it even more delicious.
This dish is without a doubt the definition of something being more than the sum of its parts. Gorgeous and satisfying and so utterly simple.